Thursday 1 January 2015

Happy Near Year and the resolutions that follow...

It is the 1st January 2015. I saw in new year with my husband, my father and his partner and my step-brother. It was a lovely evening full of board games, song and drink.

Ultimately Facebook feeds became full with either people making new year resolutions or deciding that they are not going to bother because they'd just break them by 3rd January anyway. Resolutions tend to include exercise more, eat better, quit smoking and drinking less. Valid resolutions but largely they'll be forgotten in a week once everyone has been back at work for their first week and they need a drink and a takeaway to forget the pain. 

I have never gotten on the resolutions bandwagon I admit. I am quite cynical and never took that jump. However this year I am going to make a few which are as follows:

Firstly I want to read more. I have been lucky enough to be bought several books this Christmas to add to my already large "to read" pile. The problem that I have with reading is that I absolutely adore it. But after studying part time for X amount of hours and being at work all day I just want to switch off in front of the TV. There are alot of dramas that keep me entertained on an evening. I would like to resolve to switch off the telly at least two evenings a week and to actually sit and read. Preferably with classical music playing in the background.

My next resolution is that I want to write more. This falls into the same issue as resolution one. After being at work and university, I don't want to look at another screen. One day I would like my writing whether it be academic or fiction to be my work so I need to start honing my craft otherwise that will always be a pipe dream.

Third resolution is to exercise more. Time is not my friend most days but I do need to be active for health reasons. Exercise is good for the mind and keeps a balanced life style.

And finally, I seek to love myself a little more. I am not someone who spends alot of time on my appearance. When I am working I bring myself up to an acceptable standard but other than my six week hair appointment and make up, I spend no money on my appearance. This is fine. But I work in an office where most of the other women there take more time on themselves and look lovely. I have become very critical of myself because of this because I am comparing myself to my colleagues.

This needs to stop. I am not them. They are not me. We are all our own people and beautiful in all of our own rights. I spend more money on books and DVDs than I do clothes. I can't read or watch clothes so they bore me. Of course I am going to be different from my colleagues in this respect. 

Women can have this weakness of judging themselves too harshly and compare themselves to others and find themselves wanting. I am a healthy weight for my height. This is what matters, not that I don't fit into a size eight anymore or don't have long, slender legs. We should learn to love ourselves for who we are and our uniqueness. We are no longer the child in the playground who doesn't have the coolest coat. We are adults in an office where we are get along and like eachother as friends as well as colleagues. There is no bullying. Therefore I and any other woman out there who thinks the same, should embrace who we are and own it. 

These are my new year's resolutions. Happy New Year to one and all. I hope 2015 is a great one.

Best Wishes

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment